Close Grip Barbell Bench Press
Main Muscle Worked: Triceps
Other Muscles: Chest, Shoulders
Mechanics Type: Compound
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press - Images
1. Lie back on a flat bench. Using a close grip (around shoulder width), lift the bar from the rack and
hold it straight over you with your arms locked. This will be your starting position.
2. As you breathe in, come down slowly until you feel the bar on your middle chest. Tip: Make sure
that - as opposed to a regular bench press - you keep the elbows close to the torso at all times in
order to maximize triceps involvement.
3. After a second pause, bring the bar back to the starting position as you breathe out and push the
bar using your triceps muscles. Lock your arms in the contracted position, hold for a second and
then start coming down slowly again. Tip: It should take at least twice as long to go down than to
4. Repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
5. When you are done, place the bar back in the rack.
Caution: If you are new at this exercise, it is advised that you use a spotter. If no spotter is available, then be conservative with the amount of weight used. Also, beware of letting the bar drift too far forward. You want the bar to fall on your middle chest and nowhere else.
Variations: This exercise can also be performed with an e-z bar using the inner handle as well as dumbbells, in which case the palms of the hands will be facing each other.
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press - Guide
Alternative Exercises For Close Grip Barbell Bench Press
Home >> Exercises >> Shoulders >> Close Grip Barbell Bench Press
D e d i c a t i o n - M o t i v a t i o n - T r a n s f o r m a t i o n
Copyright © 2011 GuruMann - US. All rights reserved